Sunday, January 22, 2012

2012 Spiritual Check Engine Light

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”
Psalm 119:105

Cars are wonderful, when they work! It seems like they break down or begin to have problems at the most importune times. Right after we returned from vacation, I went to run some errands and as I started the car I noticed that the “check engine” light remained on. I turned the car off and started it again, hoping it would click off. Unfortunately, it stayed on. Years ago, a friend showed me how to get certain “signal” lights to turn off if I wanted to ignore the problem. At this point, especially since I had just returned from vacation, I really didn’t want to face car repairs, so I was tempted to turn it off and ignore the problem.

Just then, the Spirit of the Lord spoke to my heart and said that the cost of getting my car checked out and repaired now, would be significantly less than if I were to let it go and have to face the possibility of repairing or replacing my engine. Auto maintenance is like our bodily health, it’s much easier to maintain good health than it is to regain good health.

So it is in life in general. God’s Word provides spiritual “check engine” lights. Are we listening? Or do we know certain tricks to “turn off the lights off”, and avoid the warnings? Are we fleeing temptation? (James 4:7) Are we loving our spouses? (Eph. 5:22, 25) Are we being honest? (Prov. 2:22) Are we caring for God’s temple? (I Cor. 6:19) Are we being good stewards of God’s blessings? (Matt. 25:14-30) Has the Spirit of God been convicting you of an area of your life that needs attention? Have you been listening or do you, do I use tricks such as busyness, drugs, play, television, books, etc. to avoid the warnings?

As we enter this next week, let’s pray as David did, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24) Let’s allow the Holy Spirit to come in and do a spiritual diagnostic test and make any repairs needed.

My friend, the pain and cost of doing that, is and will be far less than the alternative. Together, let’s keep on top of our spiritual health: for His glory and our good.

Blessings,
Pastor MJ

No comments: