Sunday, October 24, 2010

What a Day That Will Be!

Well, I did it! I finally went to a Homecoming at my college alma mater. It’s been 25 years since graduation and except for one or two people in my class, we have not been in the same room for over 20 years. I didn’t know what to expect. With the help of Facebook, I was able to make sure that I was up on some names and faces, but was mostly wondering what the conversations would be like. My journey has taken me to extreme highs and lows over the past 25 years and I knew others might have the same story.

What I experienced was nothing less than a joyful reunion of (now) men and women with whom I had shared my life with for 4-5 years during our early adulthood. It was like we picked up where we left off. One morning, I was walking down a stair case and from a distance, I see three guys with whom I had shared life with from 18-21 years of age and all I me with was smiles, laughter, hugs and jokes about my bald head! It was glorious!!

As the weekend went on, laughter was mixed with shared stories of difficulties and hope, failure and restoration, and in the end we all were comforted with the reality that time changes many things, but one thing remains the same, God is good and God is faithful!

As incredible as my 25th reunion/homecoming was, I can only imagine what heaven is going to be like? When we open our eyes for the first time and take our first breath on the other side, what will our reaction be? I’m not sure, but one thing I do know is that it won’t be long before each of us begins to perhaps hum then sing, bow then pray as we join with the myriads of those who preceded us, in worshipping the One who remains Good and Faithful for all time and eternity. What a day that will be!

In a loud voice they sang:
"Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth
and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!"
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth
and under the earth and on the sea,
and all that is in them,
singing: "To him who sits on the throne
and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!" The four living creatures said,
"Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped.
Revelation 5:12-14 (NIV)

No comments: