Sunday, October 10, 2010

Christlike Infuuence We Have On Those Around Us

“What you do speaks so loudly, I can’t hear what you’re saying!”

Have you ever wondered what kind of influence you have on those around you? Have you ever cared? Whether you know it or not, your life is influential to those around you.

Not too long ago, this fact was brought home to me in an encouraging way while I was visiting another church. I happened to see a young man that I hardly recognized. He said hello and I responded in kind, still unaware of who he actually was. Sensing my confusion, he told me his name. I could not believe it! As we spoke, he told me what he had been doing since we last saw each other. He then told me that he was in college and that a visit we had years ago greatly influenced his decision to go to the school he was attending. I didn’t even remember talking with him about college, but he said that my excitement and encouragement about this school had made him take a closer look and he found that it was exactly what he was looking for.

Later, after reflecting on this conversation, my heart was prompted to think of what Heaven will be like. Will anyone there approach me and tell me that they were encouraged toward the Savior because of something I did or said to them here?

Our worship time together today lends itself to our being excited about what we have in Christ. Are those around us during the week, our families included; just as excited as they see us live out our lives? When we suffer do they wonder where our strength comes from? When they ask how we handle the difficulties in life, do we tell them of the hope that we have in Christ? When we rejoice, is our praise directed toward Father God?

Everyday, with every breath we take and every decision we make, we advertise something. What kind of advertisement are you and I for the Lord?

As we live in the world that God has given to us this week, remember that there are many who need Jesus, all around you, to whom you will be the closest that they will every get unless they accept Him personally. Let’s walk the walk before them.

“You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts,
known and read by everybody.”
(2 Corinthians 3:2 NIV)

No comments: