Sunday, January 4, 2009

I Am Still Not All I Should Be

“No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be,
but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing:
Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.”
Philippians 3:13 (NLT)

Not too long ago, I was laying down resting and thinking deeply about my past and how, if I had the chance to do it all over again I would change some things I’ve done, not speak some things I’ve said, not go some places I’ve been, not think some things I’ve thought. It almost became discouraging as I realized none of my past can ever be changed until God began to replace those thoughts and blanket me with truth from His Word. His Spirit spoke Psalm 30:11 to me, where it says, “You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy.” (NLT) And then Joel 2:25 “So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the crawling locust, the consuming locust, and the chewing locust, My great army which I sent among you.” (NKJV). And finally, Isaiah 43:18-20 "Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past. "Behold, I will do something new, now it will spring forth; will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness. (NASB)

God has given you and I breath today in order for us to bring glory to Him. One way that we can do that is to not focus on the past, except to repent of anything there that might be displeasing to Him, accept that it is covered by the blood of Christ and live today in a way that is pleasing to Him. When Jesus spoke to the woman caught in adultery, he did not excuse her sin, yet He pointed her forward and said, “Go and sin not more!” (John 8:10-12)

We cannot change yesterday, but we can, with God’s help and our obedience change how tomorrow reflects on today. Where have you really blown it? What things do you wish you could change about “yester-year”? Remember Isaiah’s words, “Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past.” And don’t forget the words of Jesus, “Go and sin not more!” Today is a new day. Go in His strength and through obedience to His Word put a smile on the Lord’s face about your “today”. From that morning, recently, I’ve been holding on to this thought: that I will live each day, “Striving to please Him in all that I do today.” If I live that way everyday then all of my tomorrows will take care of themselves.

Let’s praise and worship the Lord today for being a God who can indeed take a failed past and turn it into a bright and hope filled future. Glory to His name!
Pastor MJ

No comments: