Sunday, December 28, 2008

Surrounded By The Presence Of Our Lord Jesus

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. Isaiah 43:2 (NIV)

When I read this passage I am so filled with comfort and hope. There are so many times in life when we are faced with circumstances that would seem to destroy us. All of us will face difficult circumstances in this life. But for those of us who are Children of God, we have the assurance that He will be with us in the midst of whatever circumstance we find ourselves in.

As we walk out of the door in the morning and face a day that is totally unknown to us, we can walk out with confidence that no matter what happens we will be surrounded by the presence of our Lord Jesus. We can walk in assurance that everything is going to be alright because we serve a God who did something incredible to prove His love for us. “If God didn't hesitate to put everything on the line for us, embracing our condition and exposing himself to the worst by sending his own Son, is there anything else he wouldn't gladly and freely do for us?”(Vs. 32) Wow! The obvious answer to that question is no! There is nothing that God would not do for His children. He spared no expense so that you and I could walk in a sweet assurance that whatever today or this next year bring that we are surrounded by and kept safe in His unquenchable love and abiding presence. That means that nothing, not even our enemies’ harshest condemnation or attacks remove God’s presence from us. Psalm 139:7-10 confirms that: “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”

With that said, everything being “alright” doesn’t mean that God’s presence keeps us from hurting. There are times when God takes away the pain; there are other times when God holds our hands in the midst of the painful experience. But in both cases He is there!

As we enter into this new year of 2009, walk in hand and hand with our Great Lord and be confident that no matter what you face that He is with you. And whether He protects you from the fire or holds you while you burn, His love for you doesn’t change and in either case, you will be “alright” in the end.

No comments: