Sunday, October 12, 2008

Most Ask Question - Why?

Why? That is a question that as you read this is being asked by thousands of people across the globe and many perhaps sitting not too far from you. Why did my parents get washed away and killed by the tsunami? Why did my son die in a helicopter drill in Iraq? Why did he have to leave me after all of these years? Why did I get laid off? Why didn’t God stop that drunk driver before he hit my baby? Why do I have cancer? Why?

I’ve asked that question, and I’m sure you have too. During my journey with the Lord, however, I’ve yet for Him to give me a reason why. Most of the time there is seeming silence. I find comfort in God’s Word where we see “the reason” for individuals’ journey through the pain. We see Joseph’s journey though abandonment in order to set the stage for the movement of God’s children to Egypt. Then there’s Esther’s journey through pain “for such a time as this!” Later we see Daniel’s journey to and through the lion’s den so that God’s power might be shown. Then we see our Lord Jesus’ journey to the cross to provide our salvation.

But even though I see the end result of other’s pain and suffering, in the midst of mine, when I cannot see the end in sight, I still have the urge to ask why.

As a matter of fact, I just asked that question recently. Father God didn’t reach down and say, “because…”, rather He said ever so gently, “I Am”.

When Habakkuk saw the injustice and violence all around him he cried out and said, How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save? Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. (Hab 1:2,3 NIV) After asking the question why, Father told Him, "Look at the nations and watch-- and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.” (Hab 1:5 NIV)

My friend, as you are seeking to hear or see the “because”, do not be discouraged as the seeming silence is deafening, rather, ask Father to help you set your discouragement aside and rest in the powerful truth that “I AM” is right by your side in the midst of your circumstances.

No comments: