Sunday, March 11, 2012

Fear

From the time we are children, there are many things that cause us fear. I remember being in the house on a dark stormy evening with the winds howling, the thunder clapping and the lightening flashing. I would often run to my parent’s room where I felt safe. Fear came in many forms, people, neighborhoods, movies, the unknown, dentists (sorry Dr. Brad), needles, etc. However, in all of those situations, home was a place of refuge; my parents and the reality of their presence gave a sense of safety that no matter what came my way, knowing that they were there, in a sense, made everything okay.

There was another aspect of fear, however, that was coupled with sense of safety. I had a healthy “fear” of my parents. I knew the rules and boundaries of what it meant to be a Jones and stepping out of those boundaries and the consequences of doing so put a healthy sense of fear into me. (along with the spankings) That fear was not me being afraid of my parents, it was a biblical foundation that was laid from birth that set parameters around me that unveiled the conviction of the Holy Spirit in my life when I thought or acted in the direction that went contrary to what the Bible teaches.

So, fear was in essence a comfort and a protector.

I have found that to be the case in my walk with the Lord, over the years. When I have been afraid I have been able to say like the Psalmist, in Psalm 56:3, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” God provides refuge and safety from the things that cause my heart to fear.

However, along with running to God with our fears, we are also to, fear Him. “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:7 Fearing God is healthy. Realizing His power, sovereignty and power; Realizing that as Scripture tells us: “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” Matthew 10:28 Fearing God is a good thing. It is a protection, a comfort, a guide.

This week I had some fears that I was faced with, and this was and is a reminder to me that the One to whom I run to for comfort from my fears is the same One who I should desire to please with my response to fearful situations realizing that He is in control and Sovereign over all.

No comments: