Sunday, March 6, 2011

Too Blessed to Be Stressed!

I am constantly amazed at how many times I sing about God’s grace being sufficient and how much I can trust Him and how much I believe that He will never leave me or forsake me and yet, I stress over life’s circumstances. It never fails, especially when I read the book of Exodus and see the actions and rebellion of the Children of Israel time and time again after God had done some impossible act, an outright miracle before their eyes that they in almost the next breath complained, doubted and worried about their next step. I mean, if God parted the Rea Sea, made water come from a rock, turned a wooden staff into a snake, turned water into blood and held my enemies at bay with a fiery cloud, I’d never doubt Him again, right?

It’s interesting How God chose certain stories to put in the Bible, stories that so resonate with basic human nature and instinct so that we could relate and remember that we are no different in our foundational makeup than those who have come before us. I am a blessed man. Rebecca and I talk often as we look at our lives and see what God has done and how He has blessed us in our marriage and our entire family far beyond what we deserve. He is so good. So, why is it then that after God provides financially in bleak and seemingly impossible situation and then miraculously heals my son’s heart and then steps into our journey and blows us away with other things that I don’t have room to list here that I wake up one day and realize that I need something and my heart starts racing and my first instinct is to worry about it? No, I’m no different at times than those I read about in Scripture. The difference is that I’m still here and I have an opportunity today to turn things around, by the grace and power of the Lord.

My friend, what would it be like if our first response to every difficult circumstance were to say, “Father, as I face this, I surround myself with Your Word and an altar filled with every blessing and provision that You have ever given me and I trust You and Your character to reveal Yourself in this situation as well. I choose trusting You over being stressed.” Imagine the smile on the Lord’s face to hear His child breath a prayer of trust instead of allowing the circumstance to weigh them down.

“Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.” Philippians 4:6-8 (The Message)

I’m glad God is patient, aren’t you? Praise Him today with me for that.

1 comment:

Greg Jackson said...

Mark, thanks for this. You are right on target as so often is the case. After 62 years, I'm beginning to learn to respond this way, but it is stil a struggle. My daily study has taken me through the Pentateuch and I'm just finishing Joshua, and I have the same reaction to crises--panic, followed by attempting to seize control. Seeing that in myself is so convicting. The encouraging thing is that God continues to "invest" in my by letting me go through these learning experiences, painful though they are; that reminds me that He still has a place and a role for me, and it is my responsibility to seek His direction.