Sunday, August 16, 2009

Exercise In Faith

Some time ago, I had an exercise in faith, riding the roller coaster rides at Six Flags. Throughout the day I put my trust in many people; in the teenagers controlling the rides, the engineers who drew the plans for the rides, the workers who constructed the rides as well as the park owners who assured us of our safety if we followed certain guidelines. Now, I don’t know any of them and the only real interest that they have in me is my money and my return visits, yet, I put my life in their hands and more than that, I put the lives of my three children in their hands as I sent them on a few rides alone.

What guarantee did I have that they were not playing a trick on me or that the cables would hold? How did I know that the engineers that built a certain ride did not cut corners in the construction of the ride just to save money?

I put my life and the lives of my children in the trust of the creators of the Texas Giant but what do I do with the “Giants” in my life? Daily life brings with it many curves, dips, bumps and often hair raising falls that never seem to end. However, the Creator of life says, “Jump, you can trust me!” And in reality, unlike the Texas Giant, or Dive Bomber Alley, many times life’s rides don’t have visible seat belts or cables. The fall is void of any visible safety measures. Yet God says, “Trust Me”.

Abraham had no safety net when God told Him to sacrifice his son. The safety net of the ram in the thicket and the angel holding back his hand only came after trust and obedience and “going without knowing”.

Think about the things we put our trust in daily, the water company (for untainted water), doctors (For correct prescriptions), mechanics (to put the lugs on tight enough so we won’t crash), etc. Do we put that much trust in God who has our very best in mind? Let our ultimate deed of faith this week be our trust and obedience in our All Knowing, All Loving, All Powerful Heavenly Father, who has never failed. Begin today by praising Him for all of the ways He’s revealed His trust worthiness to you and your family this week.

He’s worthy to be trusted,

Pastor MJ

No comments: