Sunday, November 16, 2008

God Knows His Children By Name

I’ll never forget the look on her face as I walked up to her and said hello and called her by name. Her eyes grew wide and her smile went ear to ear as her eye brow had an excited yet hint of unbelief that not only did I say hello, but that I knew her by name.

It’s no secret that being called by name is a powerful thing. Whether it’s Mark Jones (usually in a good comforting tone) or Mark Walton Jones (usually in a “opps, what did I do now” situation), being called by name has power.

Isaiah 43: 1 reminds us that God knows His children by name. What an awesome thing to ponder on. Just imagine yourself calling out to God and He answers back, “Hello (your name). You didn’t tell Him your name, you didn’t say, “Hello Lord, it’s (your name). He knows you. But it doesn’t stop there, my friend.

John 4:18 reveals to us that God not only knows your name, but He knows your situations intimately. “Jesus said to her, "You are right when you say you have no husband. The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.” John 11:14 and 35 shows us that our Lord knows our heart aches and is touched when we go through difficult times. “….So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead….Jesus wept.” Furthermore, great comfort and proper godly fear should overwhelm us when we realize that not only does Jesus know our name, our situations, good and bad, but that He alone, knows the intent our hearts. Psalm 139 makes that clear in verses 1-4, “O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.”

Today, as you worship Him in Spirit and in truth, thank Him for knowing your name, praise Him for knowing your needs, adore Him for caring for you in an intimate way every moment of every day.

“He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call”

Tommy Walker

No comments: